Thursday, March 18, 2010

A State called Jharkhand

Jharkhand – the 28th state of the Indian Union brought into existence on 15th November, 2000. I still vividly remember my parents glued to the television channels witnessing the event at midnight (14th November, 2000). I asked (sounding as ignorant as a child) as to what is so important about it to which my father replied “We are gifted with an independent state and Ranchi- the city where I live would be the capital of the newly formed state”. I did not question further as I had nothing to ask, understand or argue at that point of time and politics certainly was one topic that I did not enjoy talking about. Now being a grown up (at least some say so!!) and having celebrated (pun intended) 9 years of the birth of our state and into the 10th year I understand the enormity of what unfolded on the midnight of 14th November, 2000. What makes me pensive is that the people to whom it should have mattered still have not understood the enormity of the same. If this is not the case then how do you explain the present state of our state!! Stability is a word that does not exist in the political language of Jharkhand and if we are to go by the results of the recently concluded Jharkhand assembly elections it is abundantly clear that Jharkhand is once again headed to another five years of political uncertainty. People in power instead of working towards the development of Jharkhand are more interested in hankering for power, position and paisa. The multicroreeeeee (and yes I deliberately added the extra “E’s”) mines scam committed by former chief minister Mr Madhu Koda is another slur on the face of this state.
If you log onto the official website of Jharkhand and browse on the governance page, you will find a smiling face of our present chief minister (Hope he continues till I post the blog!!). Don’t get carried away by his smile ;) , scroll down and read the description of “Other information’s” about him- there lies the surprise or better still no surprise- suffered imprisonment on several occasions!! Wow what an adventurous CM who has had a history of corruption charges and to add to it, the situation when we talk of the so called other leaders of the state is no different. Victory of these brands of leader underlines a poor quality of the representative politics but then where is the choice. The blame of the present crisis should be equally borne by political party and also the people of the state – I sometimes really wonder whether they (people) really want to develop!! I felt a sense of relief after learning that despite Maoist poll boycott call - 58% of people belonging to those areas participated in the election positively playing their part in their dream of a better and peaceful Jharkhand.
I personally can see a lot of promise in the state and what upsets me is when we are ridiculed to be belonging to such a state. High time educated youth should enter politics. A fresh perspective and a fresh start is the need of the hour. Jharkhand has already suffered a lot in these 9 years of its existence and it is high time someone fixes the wound. Am I hoping against hope? Am I counting on miracles – I don’t know, all I know is hope is what keeps the world moving and miracles do happen!! I sincerely wish that a decade or so later I will not have to mention to somebody that I belonged to a “State called Jharkhand” still oblivious of its existence.

7 comments:

  1. true true!! now i think u can understand the hint of sarcasm in my multitude of comments regarding this state!hope things improve in the coming years..

    ReplyDelete
  2. well put !!! Certainly Jharkhand is a classical example of "REVERSAL OF FORTUNE" ...bt am sure a dose of strong institutional reforms would reverse the reversal of fortune and am completely optimistic about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madhu Koda is a victim of bogus proxy litigation in the form of PIL. The PIL is based on forged documents. Sting video exposing the petitioner and his lawyer who tried to blackmail the accused is posted on You Tube.
    If you want to know why the PIL is fake and how truth will prevail eventually then please follow the blog at http://pilbuster.blogspot.com
    my email is pilbuster@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. A well composed post, agree to a major part of it even though belong to a bureaucratic intensive background.. :)
    Still Believe, Babu Lal Marandi was the man to change the state, the man with a vision and the man who founded Greater Ranchi which no longer exists now..

    Keep Up the good work..

    ReplyDelete